Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Three random thoughts; see how they run


1) The gift-giving aspect of Christmas was very good to me this year (the religious aspect loses a little bit of power when you're stuck in a room next to the chapel, listening to the service over a PA system). In addition a few good books and a ridiculous amount of boxer shorts (on the plus side, I can probably put off laundry another week) I was given the board game Apples to Apples (pictured on the right).

I asked for the game solely because I remember playing it once in high school, and really liking it. The mechanics are fairly straightforward - the cards in your hands each contain different nouns, you pick one to go with a given adjective, the dealer picks the one of those they like best, that player keeps the adjective card, your goal is to get as many of those as possible. It's a great party game, and I've already learned that it transcends generational boundaries (having played this with people anywhere from pre-teen to mid-forties).

2) The...well, whoever it is that makes these decisions, have chosen this year's Super Bowl halftime act - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. I really, really, like this choice - mainly because I really, really, like Tom Petty's music. I read a comment from somebody that "everybody likes at least one Tom Petty song...they just don't always realize it's his." While that's obviously an overexaggeration, it's probably not too far off the truth. I now have a reason to watch the Super Bowl.

3) Since I added a hit counter to the page, we've gotten exactly 300 hits. I find this astounding, especially considering that I keep explicitly telling people *not* to read this. However, because it's 300, I think I'm supposed to say something along the lines of "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAA?" or one of the other quotes from the movie 300 that populated the Internet when the movie first came out? Apologies for not having a better grasp of this joke, I haven't seen a real movie in a theatre in over a year.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment