Sunday, December 9, 2007

My Weekend

Here's my computer's status, as of the past two days:

Day One (Morning)
  • After accidentally bidding on a MacBook, I gave it some thought and decided my computer is in excellent working condition; it's simply not portable, but I can easily live at my desk.
  • I was quickly outbid, and dropped the idea of a new computer
Day One (Evening)
  • My computer was acting sluggish from days of use without a restart. When it finally crashed, I held down the power button and went to bed.
Day Two (Morning)
  • I try booting up my computer. It simply refuses to work. Since I don't need anything too bothersome on it, I try booting Knoppix (Linux on CD). This doesn't work either. I give up and go to class.
Day Two (Evening)
  • I boot my computer and leave the room, forgetting that it will not actually boot. After some time, it came up with the message that a critical Windows kernal file was corrupt.
  • Since it's a Window's kernal file that stopped my computer from operating, I thought to myself, why wouldn't Knoppix work? I try some twenty times or so, and at one point somewhere in the middle it works. Crashes. And doesn't work again.
  • I try to make a DOS boot disc. At this point, I imagine the HHGG game with Dice replacing tea.
    USER: Put down Dice
    >>>: You pick up NO DICE!
Day Two (Night)
  • Alright, I decide. It's time to reformat. It's pretty obvious I can't recover drive C:, but I'll be damned if I lose season thirteen of Doctor Who off of my D drive!
  • I insert an ACER Recovery disc. It ejects itself.
  • I insert another ACER Recovery disc. It ejects itself.
  • I try every disc I own. As it would turn out, only ACER brand discs are rejected. Well, shit.
  • I try Knoppix again. It works! Of course, it crashes soon thereafter, but every time I boot it from this point on it works. I get my roommate to download the newest version in hopes that it would work with my wireless card.
  • I mindlessly decide, while reading a book, to flick the recovery CD in my drive every time it shoots it back out. In the back of my head, this ping-pong game goes on for about ten minutes. Ping. Pong. Ping. Pong. Ping. Pong. Ping. flick flick.... Wait... where's Pong?
  • I look under my desk, thinking I lost the CD. Then I realize that it is in the drive, and hit eject to confirm. Oops!
  • After a good deal of time flicking in ACER CDs, my computer is reformatted. I go to bed.
Day Three (Morning)
  • My roommate wakes me with the new Knoppix CD. I tell him I hope I don't need it, but I'd like it anyway. Thanks!
  • I start my computer and begin the long process of putting software on it. Corrupt files and incomplete packets, left right and center! It crashes in a way I've never seen before: The screen turns bright and nothing works.
  • One of the main errors is some files on drive D:, so I decide to delete everything off of there. I just lost everything else, why not that?
  • Shit. There goes Doctor Who!
  • I install Firefox and Google Talk and try to get those stupid Live Updates from Microsoft. It crashes halfway through Live Updates.
  • I restart a bunch of times 'till it finally comes up. I cannot get Microsoft Updates of any sort now. Corrupt errors bombard my screen, including one about Google Talk, but it's still working so whatever.
  • Computer crashes again. Screw this, I'm going to eat!
Day Three (Afternoon)
  • Crash after crash, I get fed up and try the new Knoppix. Not recognized as a boot disc. I probably did something wrong, but that sucks. Oh well, back to a half working Windows.
  • It seems to only crash when I leave it idle for (literally) thirty seconds. What if I play some music? The WMP9.0 is a jerk for a while, but eventually it plays the Sample Beethoven that comes on XP by default. I set that to loop.
  • Eventually, that got old. I successfully switch to a mix albums DVD I burnt a few weeks ago of all the music I find overplayed. Not much better. Whatever.
Day Three (Evening)
  • What happened on Day One again? Ah, yes: I "decided my computer is in excellent working condition"
  • Screw it, I'm getting that Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment