Thursday, April 3, 2008

The old college try

When Max Blouw took over as Laurier's Big Cheese a few months back, he solicited input from everybody he could think of - faculty, students, alumni, etc. He wanted to know their vision for the future of Laurier - what do they want the school to look like in five, ten, twenty years? In short, where do they want the school to go?

Their answer, apparently, was 'Milton'. The City of Milton is offering Laurier a lot of free land, and it looks like the school is taking them up on it. The rumour mill tells me that it's going to be a law school - at the very least, Laurier is looking to get a law school and the various campuses are lobbying for it. I have no real opinion on this; it's not like Milton can be in worse shape than Brantford.

Also, my gut tells me the strike will be over by the end of the week. This is good - the problem of "how can we get every class completed on time?" is a lot easier for the administration to answer than "what should we do about all these classes that stopped early?" would have been.

On another note, the new McDonald's has opened on Stanley St. between Darling and Dalhousie. Driving by it on a Sunday at 4:00 (not exactly prime eating hour), the parking lot was perhaps the most full I've ever seen at any fast food restaurant, anytime. Certainly the most full I've ever seen one in this area ever. While I've never really been bothered by the eating habits of other people before, the idea that a large number of people thought "hey, mcdonald's is open again, let's go check it out!" is really, really scary.

Annnnnnnnd......I guess that's it. For now. I'm done all major school assignments, so I'll probably be posting a lot more than I have been, at least for the next week or so. Don't hold me to that, though.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment