Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The question is, do they sing it in Alabama?

Last year, it was "Umbrella". Before that, "Hips Don't Lie". In 2005, "Hollaback Girl". Every year, there is one song that hits just before the beginning of summer, and despite the pleas of the Internet crowd, becomes a massive, summer-defining hit.

This year, Kid Rock is trying to get into the act - and while I'm not a huge fan of his, I guess I have to admit that it's a step up. Of course, that might just be because most of the song wasn't written by him.

Kid Rock (what's an acceptable way to shorten his name? Kid? K-Rock?) took the piano part from "Werewolves of London", just about everything but the lyrics from "Sweet Home Alabama", added his own lyrics, and came up with "All Summer Long". It's really not that bad, although I'm not really afraid that I'll be listening to "Werewolves Of Alabama" and have somebody overhear it, mistaking it for "All Summer Long" ("Sweet Home Alabama" was already ruined for me by its appearance in the movie of the same name - fun fact, before looking it up, I thought the movie I was thinking of was Legally Blonde.)

The lyrics, while not horrible, aren't going to be what makes the song a hit. Sweet Home Alabama is one of the ultimate "sitting on a deck, sipping a beer, singing along" songs, and that's the same thing K-Rock is going for here. Still a step up from the "loved by people too young to know any better and people trying to look cool to those too young to know any better" songs of the last few years.

Will "All Summer Long" be this summer's big hit? I doubt it. There will likely be, maybe already is, a hip-hop song that will outpace it. But I can hope. Well, I can hope for something even better to come along, but I grimly realize the odds of that happening are slim.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment