Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Biased media? Maybe not...

I try not to identify myself with any one political party. Overall, my political ideology is a little left of centre, but that's not to say I wouldn't support a further-right (or further-left) party in any given situation - I try to take each case as it comes.

But things like this make it hard to do that. A Youtube video allegedly (according to the description and the comments) shows a CTV reporter showing 'the blatant left-wing bias of the Canadian media in general and CTV in particular - which is fair enough, I have no problem believing that there is bias in most of the media I consume.

However, if one actually watches the video, they learn that the 'biased' claim is that the Conservative Party contains a few extremely conservative individuals (which they would admit), that said individuals, if given free rein to say whatever they wish, could make some controversial statements (which history has shown to be true), and that if said individuals made said statements, some Canadians could be worried about a Conservative 'hidden agenda' (which, considering mainstream perception of the old Canadian Alliance party, is not the least bit farfetched).

Replace any reference to the Conservatives in the previous paragraph with 'NDP', and the paragraph still doesn't look out of place - although the NDP are more overt about their policies which alienate a substantial proportion of Canadians. Not so much with Liberals, but that's because they are, by nature, not extremists.

I'd be willing to believe that there is a left-wing bias in Canadian news media, but if this is the best example proponents of that theory can come up with, they're not going to be convincing me anytime soon.

Also, given the comments I've made before about Youtube comments, let me explain myself - there's a difference between people who are likely 13-year-olds trying to get under the skin of whoever reads their comments, and people who honestly believe what they are saying. This group appears, at least to me, to be the latter.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment