Saturday, November 8, 2008

The History of Peanuts (Part IV)

As I explained last week, people seem to be at least a little bit interested in this subject (at least interested enough for multiple people to Google it every day and end up here), so it's back. Parts one, two, and three, should you care.

As always, click on the picture for a larger version.

We last left our colourful cast of children in late 1953, with Charlie Brown professing his fondness for 'plaid' ice cream. Additionally, Charles Schulz was making frequent musical puns, as illustrated here:


You know, I'm *sure* that when I flagged that comic for inclusion many months ago, I was going to comment on something Liszt wrote (Finlandia? Did he compose Finlandia? Do I rememeber Finlandia?) - but it's long been forgotten. Your loss.


Poor Snoopy. Had he remembered this trick forty years later, he could have made a killing on the talk show circuit. Incidentally, I just tried balancing various common household objects on my ears, and they all either fell off or got stuck in much the same way one would stick a pencil on their ear. I want big ears.


Forty years, however, would *not* have been enough time to see significant advancements in 3D technology. I remember 3D Dinosaur Adventure, a computer game I had as a kid which came with the same glasses, and 3D effects that were negligible at best.

(However, I will point out that we've now improved that technology, culminating in the impending release of Toy Story 3D.)


And the final strip of the evening has me questioning its entire premise. If Charlie Brown is even 5 years old in this strip (probably a safe minimum bet), he'd have been born in 1949. It's certainly not unreasonable to think that even a very young grandfather probably wasn't born later than 1900. Weren't boys and girls segregated in schools in the late 19th century/early 20th century? Or was that only Catholic schools?

And what's an inkwell?

--Ryan

(Normal service will resume soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tea and biscuits being brought around by the stewardesses. We will depart as soon as we have received our delivery of lemon-soaked paper napkins.)

No comments:

Post a Comment