Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Poling Parents: Autism and Vaccinations

I guess I've neglected this blog for a while. Let's face it, I'm generally not as skilled a writer as my colleague; it's probably for the best.

I might offend a few parents of autistic children in this entry. Before I continue, I should point out that this is only directed at those who believe in certain specific causes of their children's conditions. I understand that they have their work cut out for them, but the finger-pointing performed by the Poling parents is - I believe - completely unreasonable.
What it boils down to is that parenting a child with autism is a difficult job; writing about it is far easier.
--Elizabeth Moon
So, Ryan and I are watching the news right now... Apparently some radical individuals have decided to protest against certain vaccines which they believe to promote autism. I can understand a fear about the preservatives made with mercury, but most vaccinations occur at the point in a child's development where they would show signs of autism (if they have it) .

That's kind of like saying middle school causes puberty. (Except, I suppose the hormones of classmates nearby may affect the punctuality of the pubescent experience... Perhaps this is a bad example.)

It's the parents of children with autism who make these ridiculous claims. I might dare to say that stupid parents cause autistic children.

(I hope no one misquotes me on that.)

--
D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment