Saturday, February 2, 2008

I can't do restaurant reviews


At some point in your life, you will find yourself in Brantford. This is an unpleasant yet unavoidable fact. While there, you may be tempted by hunger, and start looking for a restaurant to satisfy that temptation. Now, many people will be content with a Kelsey's, Boston Pizza, Swiss Chalet, or something else of that ilk - all of which Brantford has - but others will be more adventurous, looking for something they've never had before.

If you're willing to venture downtown, there are many good choices - however, they all have their own drawbacks. Kel's Diner is never open past 3 PM, Pizza Spot has, as far as I am aware, never gotten an order right, and anything more than a milkshake from Admiral's will significantly shorten your life span. Besides, you might not even be downtown. If this is true, I would humbly like to suggest the Oxford Circus.

From the picturs above, you might not think that the Oxford Circus looks particularly glamourous - and if so, you'd be right. In fact, if anything, I would say the restaurant looks less impressive in person - maybe because it hides behind The Keg, I'm not sure.

But what the Oxford Circus lacks in exterior visual appeal, it makes up for in culinary delight. I have now been there on three or four separate occasions, and enjoyed each one immensely. The menu is both huge and diverse, containing everything from standard British pup fare (Yorkshire pudding stuffed with roast beef!) to a decent selection of steaks.

On my visits, I have had 'bangers and mash' (sausages and mashed potatoes with a LOT of baked beans, which I enjoyed immensely), fish and chips (very good fish, above-average fries), and a variety of appetizers which I can no longer remember (but they were good, too). If there was a fourth visit, I had a hamburger (anyone want to help me out on this one?).

Never had dessert, and can't comment on their alcohol selection, but it's great food, more-or-less reasonable prices, and a solid atmosphere. Proximity to Lynden Mall makes it a prime destination via bus. Highly recommended.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment