Tuesday, February 5, 2008

...and then I ate the bowl!

(You see, 'soup' and 'super' are phonetically similar, and Tim Horton's used to offer soup in a bread bowl, the commercials for which would...oh, never mind.)

So like five million other Canadians, I watched the Super Bowl. And even that was a close call, it nearly lost out to a Wii golf game. (On a tangential note, how is it that I am surrounded by Wiis in nearly every facet of my life yet have only played them twice, with more than a year inbetween?)

Obviously it was a great game, destined to go down as one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time, easily the most exciting I've ever seen - and while we got a great game, the NFL got exactly what they wanted (a record-setting audience while keeping the 19-0 mystique alive). So overall, everybody won (well, except the Patriots).

Nobody will ever forget that play. You know, THAT play. The "there's less than a minute left and the Giants still need to get further down the field. Oh no, Eli's gonna get sacked, they've got his jersey...HEY WHAT'S HE DOING OVER THERE? He got the throw away, good for him! AND THAT GUY CAUGHT IT!!!!" play. Other memorable Super Bowl moments have names like "The Catch" or "The Drive"...it would be a disservice to give this one anything less than "The Most Unbelivably Unbelievable Thing To Ever Happen In A Super Bowl".

Also, the referees frantically trying to get everybody off the field before the last play was funny in a surrealist sense.

One problem I had, though - back when it was first announced that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would be performing at the halftime show, I was ecstatic. I made a post on this blog saying so. But to be honest, I was kinda disappointed by his show. Not so much the performance levels, or the song selection (as much as I was hoping for "Refugee", I realize they have about a million different hits to choose from), but the form. Every single song seemed to follow the same pattern - first verse, chorus, guitar solo, chorus again, another guitar solo, done. It was a good way to squeeze in an extra song, but surely there had to be some way they could have mixed it up?

Anyhow, at least we didn't see a Tom Petty wardrobe malfunction.

In closing, "no, the cone is MADE of chocolate!". I mean, "...and then I ate the bowl!".

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment