Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The History of Peanuts (Part I)


I would like to begin my history of peanuts with a quote from Wikipedia. "The peanut, or groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) is a species in the legume family Fabaceae native to South America, Mexico and Central America. It is an annual herbaceous plant growing to 30 to 50 cm tall. The leaves are opposite, pinnate with four leaflets (two opposite pairs; no terminal leaflet), each leaflet 1 to 7 cm long and 1 to 3 cm broad."

...wait, that's not right. I'm not giving you the history of those peanuts.


That's more like it. How many of you can honestly say you never read Peanuts comics as a kid, or watched the TV specials? Despite the fact that you probably haven't given Peanuts a second thought since Charles Schulz passed away eight years ago, how many of you wouldn't still recognize Charlie Brown, or Snoopy, Lucy, Linus, Sally, Pig-Pen, Schroeder, the minute you saw their picture?

Peanuts was started in October 1951. Here is the first strip:


I have recently, *ahem*, come into possession of digitized copies of this strip, and in fact every Peanuts strip, from 1951 to 2000. Obviously it's going to take me a long time to go through them all...but in the meantime, I'll sporadically make posts here with some of my favourites - be they the first appearance of a beloved character, a surprisingly funny joke, or a strip which I can make some sort of witty comment about. First batch should be up within the next few days.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment