Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cheap Prescription Glasses

Shopping online is a great way to save money... For example, I just bought my textbooks from Amazon for 20% less than I could at the Laurier bookstore.

But remember: It's only a bargain if it's something you need. 




I bought a pair of glasses online recently.

My prescription had expired, but I'm comfortable wearing my old strength. So instead of paying a hundred dollars for a new test on top of three hundred dollars for the glasses themselves, I decided to shop online.




Unfortunately, finding a pair of glasses that fits your exact facial structure and head-size is a difficult process at the best of times. When shopping online, it's not like you can try on every pair in the store.


On the bright side, the glasses I received today in the mail seem to fit my face decently. My problem is that the arms of the glasses barely reach my ears. With some professional adjusting from a local store, I'm sure they can at least be comfortable.






Pros

  • Cheap!
      My total cost was around $40, including taxes, shipping, and anti-glare coating. (And it wasn't even the cheapest option!)
  • No need for a pesky new prescription!
      The store is located outside of Canada, so no need for them to follow our laws. Just type in the prescription from your favourite expired glasses!
  • All the fixings!
      I only got anti-glare, but they also offer tints and other coatings as well.

Cons

  • Can't try-before-you-buy!
      I think I really lucked out, uncomfortable as they are. I'm sure not everyone will be so lucky.
  • Two weeks for delivery!
      That's not too bad, actually... I've used stores with worse waiting periods. Still, LensCrafters has their one-hour policy.




Alright, the risk of getting a good pair is low... but if it can save you some five-hundred dollars, why not give it a try?

--
D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment