Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The truth is out there!

Last night, CTV News carried a story about UFOs - specifically, a gathering of pilots, military personnel, and others who seem more credible on the subject than the average person behind a UFO sighting. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a direct link to the piece (although there's a handful of links off of ctvnews.com).

What intrigued me the most, however - and this may be because I've been brainwashed into being unable to view news coverage without a critical analysis - was the tone of the piece. While coverage of UFO sightings used to make anyone who believed in them seem like nutjobs of the highest order, the CTV reporter seemed to be sending a message of "it still seemed farfetched...but maybe there's something to it".

Now, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember (or at least remember being told) that global warming underwent a similar pattern in mainstream perception...from "crazy theory" to "probably true, but we're still trying not to think about it", to, well, we all know what's happened to it in the last few years.

I'm not advocating the theory that Earth is regularly receiving visitors of extraterrestrial origin, but I am saying that we might only be a few years away from that topic somehow becoming a key public issue.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment