Friday, November 23, 2007

I don't get it

If you haven't been following the whole Mulroney/Schreiber affair...I don't blame you. I'm a lot more interested in this stuff than the average person, and even I find it mind-numbingly dry. That said, despite the limited attention I've been paying it, one thing has stuck out to me like a sore thumb - why are we listening to this guy?

Karlheinz Schreiber is wanted in Germany on charges of fraud, bribery, and tax fraud. Last time I checked, Germany wasn't exactly Syria - if a person is said to commit a crime there, it's probably a crime in Canada as well. So obviously, it's in Schreiber's best interests to stay away from Germany as long as possible. This is of course made much more difficult for him because of the fact that Canada has an extradition agreement with Germany. So once Schreiber has exhausted all legal avenues of delaying his extradition - as others have reported happened just before this whole kerfuffle began - it only follows that he'd try something like this.

A court has already found that Mulroney had limited to no dealings with Schreiber, and Mulroney's eagerness to have a public inquiry only further shows his innocence in my eyes. On the other hand, you've got somebody who stands to gain immensely from simply lying, and given the allegations he's facing in Germany, has no problem behaving unethically when it's in his best interest.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of Brian Mulroney's, but I'd still take his word over that of a known liar fighting an extradition battle.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment