Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Election ahoy!

So there's an election tomorrow. I've been meaning to write about it for a while now, but I kept putting it off, and then I forgot about it (on that note, I'd like to thank Dan for keeping you all entertained this weekend).

It seems a little late now, but some quick thoughts:

-I followed this election closer than I've ever followed any election, mainly because it's the first one I'm eligible to vote for.
-Despite that, or maybe because of it, I was a little disappointed. Howard Hampton wasn't carrying Jello and swiss cheese to all his campaign stops, and nobody refered to Dalton McGuinty as an 'evil reptillan kitten-eater from another planet'. That was a bit of a let-down.
-Watching the full debate, I thought Dalton came off terribly with maybe one or two exceptions. Watching Mike Duffy's analysis afterwards, he seemed to agree with me. Watching/reading ANYTHING the next day, they pretty much only showed the exceptions.
-Let me get this straight. We've got massive unemployment, the always-persistent crime problem, long health care rates, astronomically-rising tuition...and the only issue that anybody paid attention to is the education of a few thousand people? Nice work by the Liberal spin doctors to divide people based on THAT, but it's ridiculous.
-Why did John Tory not play off his successful business background a little more?
-Ahahahaha, John Turmel.

I'm voting tomorrow, as I should hope you all are. In the interest of full disclosure, I started off willing to listen to anyone, but I'll be voting for the Conservatives (I don't want to see the NDP as anything more than opposition, Dalton's debate performance pretty much sealed the fact that I won't be voting for the Liberals, and I like to think my vote matters, so I don't vote for minor parties that don't stand a chance.)

More importantly, I'll be voting 'yes' on the referendum. Unfortunately, much as I think we'll have another Liberal government, I'm convinced that MMP will not go through, at least not this year. It's too bad, really. If we were under MMP, I'd definitely be giving the Green and FC parties a lot bigger of a look - but too many people see it as nothing but a way to get more politicians in office, so it's not gonna go through.

There you go. A few thoughts on the election - remember, I'm new at this.

If I'm not doing anything else tomorrow night, I'll probably keep a running diary of the televised election coverage.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment