Thursday, May 7, 2009

The summer music project

No, that's not the name of a band. Although it wouldn't be a horrible one - at least you'd know it's a band, and not a song.

(Which reminds me...best band name I've heard in the last while? Hands down, The Samuel L. Jackson Five.)

As you might have gathered from reading this blog over the years, I like music. Unfortunately, I primarily like music that I already know I like, and am extremely hesitant to try anything new.

Thus, I have developed a plan.

I own two MP3 players - an iPod where the battery is virtually useless, and a Sony MP3 player where the battery is still good.

I've loaded up the Sony with only music by bands I've either never or barely ever listened to, most of which I'm not sure I'll like.

So if I'm out walking, or doing yardwork, or just wanting to listen to my music and not conveniently near a socket, I'll have no choice but to listen to one of these albums. Thereafter, I'll know whether I like them or not.

Here's the list:

illScarlett - All Day With It
Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubles
Swan Lake - Enemy Mine
Handsome Furs - Face Control
Freezepop - Fancy Ultra-Flesh
Metric - Fantasies
Arcade Fire - Funeral
A.C. Newman - Get Guilty
Colin Hay - Going Somewhere
Black Mountain - In The Future
Hey Rosetta! - Into Your Lungs
Constantines - Kensington Heights
Serge Gainsbourg - Love On The Beat
Human Highway - Moody Motorcycle
Dog Day - Night Group
The Stills - Oceans Will Rise
Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
Islands - Return To The Sea
Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
Frog Eyes - The Golden River
The Libertines - The Libertines
Destroyer - Trouble In Dreams
The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?


...wow, that's a lot longer than I expected.

Nonetheless, I can persevere. I'll keep you posted on what I think of all this, since a lot of it is the normal Internet music geek's usual playlist.

-----------------------

Yesterday, for no particular reason, I sat down in front of the TV and watched some soccer.

For those of you unfamiliar with European soccer (which I assume to be pretty much everyone reading this), every country has its own league. However, the top few teams from each of those leagues meet in something called the Champions League to determine the best team in Europe.

Manchester United (UK) are through to the final, and the game I was watching yesterday was the other semi-final - Chelsea (UK) against Barcelona (Spain).

Because of the way the rules work, Chelsea had to score more goals than Barcelona to advance to the final. A tie (unless it was 0-0, in which case it would go into overtime) would see Barcelona move on.

Chelsea is basically the New York Yankees of English soccer, in that they win a lot and everybody hates them. So I was cheering for Barcelona.

I tuned in with about 30 minutes left to play, Chelsea up 1-0, and Barcelona with only 10 players because of a red card. It looked for all the world like Chelsea was going to hold on and pull out the victory, but Barcelona scored a goal seemingly out of nowhere in the last few minutes.

It's tradition in soccer to get very confrontational over these things - the more important, the more boisterous. Here's one of the tamer, believe it or not, Chelsea players' reactions:



It was good fun to watch. I should really watch more soccer.

Oh, and the Scrubs finale was unexpectedly awesome.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment