Sunday, May 24, 2009

My free lunch

They say there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Obviously 'they' weren't at Harvey's today.

For the (third? fourth?) year in a row, Harvey's offered free hamburgers to anybody who could make it to one of their locations for a few hours today.

I went in expecting one free hamburger per customer. Evidently that wasn't the case - one guy ahead of me ordered eight (that's Numberwang!!!), and most other orders were two or four or somesuch. Cheese, fries, drinks - that stuff all still cost you, but the burgers were as free as Sesame Street's air.

I often forget about Harvey's in the realm of fast food - unfortunately, as it's one of the least unhealthy burgers - because it's generally the farthest chain from wherever I'm living (debatable in one case, but only if I make a turn I would otherwise almost never make). I'm betting most people fall into the same pack, and this is why they try such unorthodox marketing methods as free hamburgers - to get people to remember them, and then hook them in with admittedly delicious food.

I went through the drive-thru (take that, environment!) on my way home from work, and noticed that the parking lot wasn't designed for anywhere near that amount of traffic (take that, urban planners!).

Two hamburgers - ketchup, mayo, pickle. One very happy blogger. (Take that, arteries!)

Karl Marx was right - the best things in life are free.

---------------------

And two mostly-rhetorical questions: why do I read my horoscope every day (at least every day I read the newspaper); and why, on the rare occasions that it gives me useful/pertinent advice, do I perhaps-intentionally go against it?

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment