Saturday, December 20, 2008

Words fail me (continued)

Back in October, I bemoaned the decline in quality of the Dictionary.com Word Of The Day. I complained that the words had gotten too simple, and if I wanted to learn something from this glorified spam, I wouldn't be able to.

For a while, things were getting better. There were maybe two weeks of words starting with 'a', most of which I didn't recognize.

But then came this week.

Tuesday: fabricate.
Wednesday: gaffe.
Thursday: hackneyed.
Friday: iambic.
Saturday: jaded.

Okay.

Iambic is fine, since I would suspect that quite a few people are not students of poetry - it's not particularly useful in any way, but at least it's a word some people won't know. Ditto for hackneyed, which is fun to say.

But gaffe? Fabricrate? Jaded

Did I accidentily switch to the Word Of The Day For Twelve-Year-Olds?

--Ryan

(P.S. I was originally going to post something relatively cool - at least I think so - yesterday. But then stuff happened and I didn't have the time. And today I'm too tired to go through the little bit of grunt work that needs to be done; the moral of the story being that decisions made at 3 AM are rarely good ones. But tomorrow or Monday, I guarantee, it will be up. And I have now hyped it too much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment