Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Well it *was* there

I know the previous post says I'll have something up no later than Monday. And this, the next post, is going up Tuesday.

On the surface, that would seem to be a bald-faced lie on my part.

However, there was a post there - and at least the person who commented on it overnight can back me up on that.

Here's what it was: using the free audio-editing program Audacity, I changed the pitches of various popular songs. Then I uploaded the best ones and linked to them.

One of the tags for that post was 'borderline copyright infringement' - meant as a joke more than anything. Yet I suspect that's what tipped somebody off, and Blogger removed my post in accordance with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

I don't believe that this was justifiable action on Blogger's part, for the following reasons:

1) Nobody is earning any profit off of what I put up - this site doesn't have any ads.

2) The DMCA doesn't apply to me because I'm not American.

I could be wrong on both counts, though. It's not worth the effort to fight it, so I'll just say that unless you were one of the few who saw the post before it was taken down, you missed some good fun.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment