Saturday, December 27, 2008

Best Scanning Software Ever!

I just got a laser printer at the boxing day sales!  

It's a Samsung: a company which until now I've never really cared for since I can't crack my cellular.With it came a piece of software called SmarThru 4. And with that piece of software came a feature. A feature for which I am now a fan of the Samsung brand.

It's a bit of scanning software that recognizes characters, so I can copy text straight from my scans. I had a piece of software like this when I lived in residence, but SmarThru 4 features a few points that my old one didn't:

  1. Recognizes and keeps formatting.
  2. Recognizes images, and keeps those images in the document.
  3. Recognizes columns and groups paragraphs neatly (although each line ends in a paragraph break, that's still pretty damn good).
  4. Saving in a variety of formats, including rich text (with or without paragraph breaks), MS Word (with or without images), and Adobe PDF (with or without images).
  5. In the setup for the OCR feature (optical character recognition), it asks to select your language. Maybe this is for a more accurate character database (so people in America don't get Russian characters), or maybe it runs what it scans through a spellcheck to assure the most accurate text possible. I don't know.


So, all my hype and excitement leads to this:

I haven't been able to find this software on any download sites (legit or otherwise), but hopefully it'll show up somewhere. (Maybe if you try downloading the software for my printer, it'll be included?)

--

D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment