Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hitting the links


I didn't plan to do this. I was going to blog tonight, but it was going to be about something funny. However, throughout yesterday and today, little things kept coming up - things that aren't worth a blog by themself, but combined, can be. So here's some links to news stories, and the part that makes it interesting.

A truck driver took out some power lines near my house yesterday. The Record actually has it wrong - it was the corner of River and Holborn (not Ottawa), right at the Zellers entrance to Stanley Park Mall. Went by today, and there's still evidence of damage - one of the lights must have been damaged beyond repair, as it's gone. Also, the entrance/exit to the mall parking lot has now been repainted, which is great news - any time I went out there and straight down Holborn (my preferred route home), I'd be glancing over to make sure that whoever led the left turn lane was aware that he was supposed to turn left.

In other news that's close to home (albeit another home), Brantford police raided five homes for drugs and made 42 arrests. These were all within walking distance of my house (and in once case, quite possibly right across the street). Obviously it's good for Brantford to get rid of these problems, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that this didn't happen until after all the students were gone.

Sticking with Brantford, Peter MacKay was in town to play some rugby. While this story is offbeat enough on its own, the accompanying picture was taken by one of my professors - and another picture he took of the same event wound up in yesterday's Toronto Sun. That was a neat surprise, although it wasn't the first time his photo ended up in a bigger paper.

On another note, Quebec's government has a report on the experiences of immigrants in their province. This story by itself isn't that interesting, but I heard something on the news last night that made me stop for a moment - French-Canadians in Quebec apparently think that minorities need to do more to integrate themselves into the Quebecois culture. So French-Canadians are angry that a minority wants to keep its own culture...seriously, am I missing something here?

This was something I did not expect to see in the Record yesterday, or any day for that matter. Any newspaper, either.

This guy agrees with me about the pig in Monday's Pearls Before Swine.

Finally, the Memorial Cup is still going on. Kitchener is beating Belleville right now in a game that is literally meaningless - the two teams play again on Friday, with the winner of that game meeting Spokane for the championship.

That thing I was originally going to blog about tonight? Friday or Saturday, probably. And you won't be disappointed.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment