Saturday, September 22, 2007

Pot calling the (Canadian) kettle black

According to the Winnipeg Free Press, Iran is distributing to all United Nations diplomats a 70-page book detailing alleged human rights violations by the Canadian government.

The most obvious point here is, as I said, obvious: what exactly is Iran hoping to accomplish by insulting the human rights record of Canada - which, while not perfect, is far, far ahead of Iran?

But is it even worth the time it would take us to argue that point? No, it's not. Why? For the answer, we must read a little deeper into the article...

"Routine unlawful strip and beatings by Canadian police has been a matter of concern for international community," notes the booklet, entitled Report on Human Rights Situation in Canada, adding that "the practice of police is alarming simply because I it is functioning as if there is no need to have judges."


Okay. Off the top of my head, I can think of the incident this summer where Toronto police clashed with a Peruvian soccer team. As a Canadian resident, I know that all reports of that incident are fairly controversial, but it was certainly an isolated incident - not an everyday occurence. Although I will admit, I can certainly conjure up a scenario in which an Iranian government official read an article on that clash and believed that to be the Canadian norm. So while this passage is obviously false, I can see where it came from. Let's move on.

"To the great dismay of the international community, it is a great concern that the rights of women are violated, and no serious attention has been paid in promotion and protection of women's rights in Canada."


Um, what? We might not have been paying much attention to womens' rights lately, but that's only because we've already more or less achieved equality. However, 'rights of women are violated'? In comparison to Iran? I don't think so! We've had a woman serve as Prime Minister! Women play various roles in all levels of business - including, albeit rarely, at the top! Women are also afforded complete equality through law, a process which I don't believe to have taken place yet in Iran. How do I know this? Well, I know a number of Canadian women who read this blog. No Iranian women read this blog. Therefore, Iranian women do not have the freedom to explore Blogspot on their own - and ergo, fewer freedoms than Canadian women.

See, Iran? I can do it too!

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment