Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ain't technology something?



I can't decide what I like best about this ad. Maybe it's easier for you. Anyhow, here are some of my favourite features...

--Obviously, the fact that a cell phone once looked like that, and it was considered 'normal' is the first thing to jump out at me.

--The price of $1500 seems a little hefty, especially considering that my cell phone was free.

--The ad insinuates that, at the time, cell phones exised which did not fit into one's briefcase.

--28 ounces (almost two pounds) is considered 'lightweight'.

--Do you think anybody figured they wouldn't need the charging kit, and went back to Radio Shack a week later feeling very, very stupid?

--The one positive thing about this ad - I honestly wouldn't have guessed that something like this was available in 1988. If not for the 'New for 88' label, I'd have guessed that this was from 1993 or so.

--My favourite thing about the ad, though? Sometime, somewhere, the following conversation likely took place:

Man #1: So who do we advertise this to, anyhow?

Man #2: Everybody! There is going to come a time when everybody in the world will want one of these!

Man #3: No, no, I disagree.

Man #2: Then who would you target?

Man #3: People with boats!

Man #1: I like the way Man #3 thinks!

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment