Thursday, August 7, 2008

Let the Games begin!


We are less than 24 hours away from the start of the Beijing Olympics.

I'm psyched.

Because of the 12-hour time difference between here and China (fun fact, the entire country is in the same time zone), CBC (and TSN, bold, and Radio-Canada) will be airing Olympic coverage from whenever I wake up until noon, and from 6 PM until whenever I go to bed. Other than the first few hours of the evening, it will almost all be live. So I'll be watching a lot of the Olympics over the next couple weeks.

(Although I will be in Boston for a few days next week. That'll be weird - watching the Olympics and *not* seeing a focus on Canadian athletes.)

I love the Olympics. I don't know what it is, but something about them is enough to get me to pay attention to track and field events, or swimming races, for a few weeks. Plus you get to see sports that you completely forget about until the Olympics roll around again, like handball, water polo, or fencing.

Canada's chances at the 2008 Olympics...quite frankly aren't that great. We won twelve medals in 2004, and a lot of 'experts' believe that we'll have trouble matching that total in Beijing. Ah well. Still fun to watch.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment