Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Boston post-mortem


As I alluded to in the last post, I was in Boston the last few days.

I'd been to Beantown before - a high school band weekend trip four years ago - and had always kind of wanted to go back. So when the opportunity came up, I was on board.

Being on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, Boston is of course a haven of great seafood. Being a big fan of seafood, that's something I was looking forward to. So naturally, The Great Boston Trek's first meal was...a McDonald's off the highway near Rochester, NY.

Things only got better from there, though, as my dinners through the trip went from lobster tail to a fisherman's feast (a big pile of deep-fried seafood) to prime rib to lobster and fettucine. Very, very good food, at some very, very good restaurants.

I was expecting Boston to be sort of a mix of a historical city (such as Quebec City), which is how I remembered it from my last trip, and the Good Will Hunting city that I largely didn't see before. Both of those elements definitely were present this time around, but there was also an undercurrent of trendiness. Particularly in the tourist areas, it was almost as if Boston has become a hip vacation spot - I've never seen so many people in white pants.

Oh, and I went to Fenway Park. The Blue Jays demolished the Red Sox 15-4, which I loved and the majority of the crowd did not (although I did see a surprising number of Jays fans through the day, maybe a hundred or so all told).

I've never experienced anything like the Boston subway to and from Fenway...an hour-plus before the game, and the trains were literally jam-packed with as many people as could possibly fit on, all headed to the same location. It was awesome.

As for the history...Boston was one of the major cities in colonial America, and an important site in the Revolutionary War (not just because Paul Revere lived there). As someone who's not really a history guy to begin with, and especially not 18th-century American history, there was a little too much of that.

Still, great city, great trip. And great food, did I mention that?

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment