Saturday, August 29, 2009

Great moments in urban planning

Municipal engineers finally did something right.

For two years now, I've had a car in Brantford. For two years, I've regularly driven to the Price Chopper at the corner of Icomm and Clarence - and sometimes the Wendy's, or something else that would cause me to be on this route.

I speak of driving eastbound on Icomm, and turning left onto Clarence. A conservative estimate tells me I've made this turn fifty times. Each time, I've noticed the fourth notch on the traffic light - where one would expect to find a left-turn arrow for an advanced green.

Never, not once in my many times making this turn, has that arrow ever lit up. Not when there are cars wanting to turn left both ways onto Clarence, not when there are cars wanting to turn my way onto Clarence but only go straight down Icomm from the other direction, not when all cars at the intersection are on my side of Clarence. I've seen every possible combination, and not once has that advance green come up.

Until yesterday.

I was in Brantford to tame the mighty jungle (no lion was sleeping, but there was a persistent stray cat). Needing more yard waste bags, I headed for Price Chopper. Waiting at the aforementioned intersection, contemplating if I'd be able to make the turn before the car a good distance down Icomm hit the intersection...suddenly, I realized what was going on.

I had an advance green.

And I was thrilled.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment