Thursday, June 11, 2009

A series of unrelated thoughts

Here's a bunch of small thoughts that have burrowed through my mind over the last few weeks. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll put up something that's actually deserving of being at the top of this page until either Dan gets inspiration or I get off my butt.

The WHO just declared a level six pandemic for the swine flu (also that they won't get fooled again). Funny how the media's paying so much less attention now, when a few weeks ago they were acting like level six would be certain doom for all humankind. As I've been saying since the beginning, when the real threat comes, the WHO won't even know about it until it's too late. (On a groan-tastic note, they said a black man would be President of the United States when pigs fly. Barack Obama was only in office a few months and swine flu.)

Game seven of the Stanley Cup goes tomorrow night. I've been a bad hockey fan. Even though I watched quite a bit of the early rounds (Vancouver/Chicago, Boston/Montreal, Pittsburgh/Washington are the first series to come to mind), I've seen maybe two periods of the final. It's good hockey, it's just very hard to cheer for Sidney Crosby and impossible for me to cheer for Detroit. But I'll be watching tomorrow night for sure.

The City of Brantford is considering changing Dalhousie and Colborne to two-way streets. While it would make it easier for me on the rare occasions I drive to Grand River Hall or the library, I'm not so sure it's an avenue worth pursuing. If you find yourself needing to go in the other direction, you're almost always only a block away from being able to do so (the only real problem is between Clarence and Queen), and it's easier for pedestrians to only have to pay attention to traffic in one direction. Can you imagine the intersection of Dalhousie and Market with dozens of students trying to cross AND traffic flowing both ways? Leave them one-way.

Ever found yourself getting annoyed when your earbuds got all tangled up? Not in knots, just winding around each other to the point where they wouldn't rest in your ears? Somebody has invented a solution, and it's really one of the most ingenious things I've ever seen.

Not sure if I've ever mentioned Soccer Manager here before, but the gist is that it's a multiplayer online simulation where you run a soccer team. After a less than impressive season, my Charlton Athletic squad have racked up five straight victories and look like they'll comfortably make the playoffs, with a chance at promotion. Henrik Larsson and Sebastian Viera were great investments.

That reminds me, I should really blog about Toronto FC one of these days.

Things I don't like about my new job: paper cuts.

Things I do like about my new job: discovering the existence of Carpworld magazine.

That's it for now, I'll be back here in the next day or so.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment