Saturday, March 7, 2009

Review: Arrogant Worms @ Sanderson Centre


As longtime readers of this blog have probably (hopefully?) figured out, I'm a bit of a nerd. Thus it should come as no surprise to learn that I was a band geek in high school, and even less of a surprise to learn that I was a fan of the Arrogant Worms (pictured).

Last night, the Worms came to Brantford, so I figured I'd give them a shot - amid suspicions that the humour of their songs would carry over well into a live show.

I was blown away. Not only is the Worms' actual musical talent every bit as evident as it is on their CDs (not that they could be a serious rock band or anything, but they're very good at what they do), but they have excellent timing (both from a musical and a comedic standpoint), and surprising stage presence.

We didn't get to see the full trio of Worms, as bassist Chris Patterson recently had twins, which has apparently left him in a permanent zombie-like state. However, Mike Ford provided an excellent fill-in, surprisingly similar voice, and recurring punch line.

The setlist was solid - all the Worms' more well-known songs (I'm leery of describing them as 'hits'), such as 'Mounted Animal Nature Trail', 'Rocks and Trees', and 'The Last Saskatchewan Pirate', mixed with newer songs that I wasn't familiar with yet still sounded good, if less anthemic ('Big Box Store', 'Hollywood Girl') and two encores.

The between-song banter was also excellent, chock full of Brantford references (I will never look at Crazy Bill's Convenience store the same way again), and it at the very least seemed spontaneous.

In summary: good show. I'd recommend it to anybody.

And since I seem to remember having a penchant for grading anything I review, I give this a solid A. Absolutely nothing to complain about other than that I wish it could have gone on longer.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment