Monday, September 22, 2008

If you can read this, I'm not Prime Minister of Canada

Toronto-area Conservative candidate Chris Reid has been dropped from the ballot after a Liberal blogger found some not-so-nice things Reid said on his own blog. In his blog, Reid advocated that Canadians should have the right to carry concealed handguns, among other things.

The story here isn't the emergence of bloggers as the main source of finding dirt on politicians, or the Conservatives' willingness to hire ultra-right-wingers, or anything to do with guns. The story is Reid's idiocy in leaving that site online, for others to find.

I can guarantee you that if I ever run for public office, the moment I decide to do so, this blog will be taken down, and I'll figure out how to remove Google caches and the like. And I say that while believing that I have never written anything in here that would be politically damaging.

Well done, Chris Reid. You might not have taken your clothes off in front of underage teenagers, joked about the deaths of eighteen Canadians from listeriosis under your watch, or insinuated that Aboriginal protesters were drunk, but before any of those stories became news, they couldn't have been found with a quick Google search.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment