Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Preparing for an interview

I've had a lot of job interviews in recent months, and thought I'd share some words of wisdom. Not that these words of wisdom have done me any good... yet.

Why did you leave your last place of employment?
Good Answer: It interfered with my pursuite of higher education.
Bad Answer: I didn't like it (for whatever reason).
If an employer hears that the reason you left your previous job was the previous employers fault, they may decide you're easily bothered - a quality that people find irritating.

How do you deal with stress?
Good Answer: I don't get stressed often, but if I do I'll burn it off at my weekly bowling league.
Bad Answer: I don't.
Some people actually don't get stressed, but an employer doesn't want to hear that. It makes you less human. You should make stress sound like something that helps build you character instead of eating away inside you. ("I go for a smoke" is not a good answer either.)

What is your worst quality?
Good Answer: I can be a bit introverted, but I'm aware of this and am working on overcoming it.
Bad Answer: I don't have one!
I found that answer on Reddit, and really liked it. In that same forum, someone suggested that answering this question with "I'm a bigger-picture person, and sometimes I overlook details" is overused and might work against you.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
Good Answer: Perhaps not working the same position, but I do imagine working for this company.
Bad Answer: Retired on a yacht.
You should make an employer aware that you have potential to be a long-lasting asset to them. Saying that you would work elsewhere would imply that you don't expect to develop company loyalty.


I'm sure you may disagree with the quality of some of these answers, but perhaps they've inspired your own preparation for the hunt of a great career. Good luck!

--
D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment