Saturday, August 2, 2008

And then there was grammar

Playing the role of Ryan, me.

Playing the role of Dan, Dan.

Playing the role of Marcel the Mime, a cute little hamster.

Dan: Fiddlesticks... I guess I'll catch you next time than.

Now for an exercise in grammar, should the above be "then" because it's at the end of sentence? Someone told me that once, and it stuck with me... but I don't believe them.

Ryan: It should be 'then', but because 'then' is correct in that situation whereas 'than' is not. 'Than' is generally used when comparing two things, 'then' for any other use.

Dan: But I am comparing to things! This time as opposed to next time!

Ryan: Then it's "next time rather than this time", but it shortens to "next time then". Our language is weird.

Dan: I don't believe you!

This conversation continued, but I don't save outgoing messages.

Oh, and the hamster was pretending to be trapped in a box.

--Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment